“Just cut the hole for the fixture and run the wires through the ceiling joists to a new circuit.” A sliding barn door adds dimension to any home with a farmhouse flair. Perfect for a kitchen or den entrance, a sliding door provides privacy when needed or acts as eclectic decor when not in use. They are relatively easy to install; all it takes is assembling and mounting the hardware and door to a doorway. Transform the mood of the kitchen with a bold new backsplash in ceramic or glass tile. Just make sure the wall is sound before you start the installation.
- However….he insisted I mount the bar slightly lower than the template so he has room to place the microwave on the bracket.
- Season 21 of Ask This Old House brings back Kevin, Tommy, Richard, Jenn, and the crew, as they help homeowners tackle their most challenging home improvement projects.
- However, to remove a wall safely, it needs to be non-load-bearing, meaning a wall that isn’t integral to the structure of your home.
- The average cost per project is $3,000 in the United States and $11,000–15,000 in Canada.
- Then, when they sell and receive, say, $50,000 after repaying their mortgage and home equity loans, they think that’s their capital gain.
First of all my best wishes go out to the folks who stop and read my stuff. The Mighty House radio show has been a labor of love for over a decade (another number I should know… but I don’t… it’s been longer than that). If you are a listener or a viewer over this amazing internet thing, Your feedback is what keeps us going. Please comment on Facebook or call the show – you can say whatever you like – it’s your dime.
Switch to Energy
Watching experts transform someone’s home can make the stress of any day fade away. As a result, people’s homes are starting to lack personality. Contact your local authority to check whether this scheme operates in your area.
How to Install Vinyl Plank Flooring in a Kitchen
Get free, objective, performance-based recommendations for top real estate agents in your area. Check out the publication’s comprehensive guide to tackle this project in a weekend. It’s tempting to cave to the gallery wall trend, but the more individual items you hang on walls in an already-small space, the smaller it will look. Instead, pack a powerful punch with one piece of large-scale art on a wall in your living room. Having a single dramatic piece of art of the wall will draw the eye towards it, rather than highlight the limited dimensions of the room.
Choosing one color and clean-lined tile for the backsplash in a small kitchen keeps the look uncluttered and roomy. But it’s not always about looks– some home improvements are strictly about making the house work better! This means that you could add in a central air unit, move the location of a door, or change the types of windows you have. Our remodeling experts will help you choose from a wide selection of doors that fit the look and feel of your home. We only install the highest quality doors and back it up with 103 years’ reputation in the business. Take a page from the farmhouse trend and ditch cabinet doors for an open feel in your kitchen.