Because I took both GCSE and A-Level English, I had a lot of required reads over the years. I actually found it harder to shorten this list down than I’d been expecting: I hated most of the books at the time, because the constant repetition and focus on them really took away from the impact of the stories for me, but reflecting back on it now I do appreciate most of them a lot more.
5) ‘An Inspector Calls’ by J. B. Priestley
4) ‘Of Mice and Men’ by John Steinbeck
3) ‘All My Sons’ by Arthur Miller
2) ‘Stone Cold’ by Robert Swindells
1) ‘The Collector’ by John Fowles